Political Hot Spot

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Cheney's Notes on the side of a newspaper column show that he know who Mr. Wilson was and that his wife was a secret service agent.

"Mr. Cheney's notes were cited in a prosecution brief in the case against the vice president's former chief of staff, I. Lewis Libby Jr. The entries were made on a copy of an Op-Ed article by Joseph C. Wilson IV, a former ambassador, that was published in The New York Times on July 6, 2003. The leak case involves the disclosure that Mr. Wilson's wife, Valerie, was a C.I.A. officer.

"'Those annotations support the proposition that publication of the Wilson Op-Ed acutely focused the attention of the vice president and the defendant — his chief of staff — on Mr. Wilson, on the assertions made in his article, and on responding to those assertions," said the legal papers filed Friday by Patrick J. Fitzgerald, the special counsel in the case."

In neat writing above the text of the column, prosecutors say, Mr. Cheney wrote: "Have they done this sort of thing before? Send an Amb. to answer a question? Do we ordinarily send people out pro bono to work for us? Or did his wife send him on a junket?"

In addition, the notes add to evidence in the case showing that Mr. Cheney and his aides viewed Mr. Wilson's article with deep concern and looked for ways to counter its impact. Previous prosecution filings have said the article was viewed as a direct assault on the administration's policy and provoked efforts to discredit Mr. Wilson.

Maybe this leak will bring down not only Karl Rove, but Dick Cheney himself. He clearly knew who Valerie Plame was and that she was married to Mr. Wilson. He also clearly objected to the article and wanted to get back at Mr. Wilson. Maybe I'm being too optimistic and should be focusing on Karl Rove's indictment, but if Dick Cheney was indicted, my faith in America would be fully restored!

8 Comments:

  • At 5/14/2006 06:15:00 PM, Blogger Jeremy said…

    I think this is going to be HUGE. This is the calm before the storm, and I bet by next weekend all of the blogs will be talking about one subject - Karl Rove's indictment.

    I really really hope this blows up. This is what it's come to for me - cynicism, hate, and hoping for someone to be arrested. How sad.

    BTW where in the city are you? I went to school in NY and have lots of friends in Estoria (sp?) today...not exactly the city but I love Queens. My dad is from Queens as well.

     
  • At 5/14/2006 09:57:00 PM, Blogger Ellie said…

    Don't worry, it's come to pretty much the same thing for me. and I really hope it is huge. It'll be so great!!

    Actually I live in Queens. I usually put NYC because it's more general. But I love Queens. I live in Flushing, which is close to Astoria. It's like the Chinatown of Queens. Where abouts did you go to school in NY?

     
  • At 5/15/2006 06:10:00 PM, Blogger Sornie said…

    I always thought that if Cheney and Rove were to 'resign' from their positions, we would see how truly inept Bush is at the job he was appointed to.

     
  • At 5/15/2006 10:57:00 PM, Blogger billie said…

    i think that i would believe in miracles if either or both were brought to justice. hope is what keeps us going.

     
  • At 5/16/2006 10:50:00 PM, Blogger Ellie said…

    brian - so true. Without Rove and Cheney Bush would be a bumbling idiot with no idea how to run a country.

    betmo - so true. lets just hope the miracle happens.

     
  • At 5/17/2006 10:57:00 PM, Blogger Human said…

    Ellie - I'm not sure that the VP can be indicted until he has been removed from office.

    The Rove indictment is coming.
    Fitzmas in May baby!
    Peace.

     
  • At 5/17/2006 10:58:00 PM, Blogger Human said…

    tata -da Daily Show is coming on.

     
  • At 5/18/2006 11:45:00 PM, Blogger Ellie said…

    human - I think you're right. I don't think the vice president can or will be indicted. I wish the whole administration could be indicted, but it's never going to happen. They're too powerful. A Karl Rove indictment would be great though. And I agree...I think it's coming!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Headlines from the Impeachment 

Blogosphere
Provided by First Sustainable
Add this box to your site
Add your feed to this box