Political Hot Spot

Monday, July 10, 2006

State of Fear

Today my brain is kind of fried, long day at work. So, I have decided to tell a story, which I find to be very interesting. also, there is a very interesting news story going along with this. (not really politically related...but I managed to find a link)

So, this morning I woke up as usual a little later that I should have, raced over to my bus stop and to wait for my trusty bus. It was seven minutes late (did I just call it trusty?!). Since I live in Queens I take an express bus into Manhattan every day. Nice and air conditioned (express bus lines get the best busses!). So I took my seat and alternated staring out teh window with doing the work I hadn't finished last night. When we got onto 57th street there was a lot of traffic. I just assumed that it was rush hour, but it isn't usually that bad at that time. Work started for me today at 10 (yes!). things usually cool off around 9:30. As we passed Park Avenue the road was closed off by cops. I looked down the ave and saw many blinking lights from fire engines, cops cars, ambulences, and the like. Then I got off that bus, ran onto my other bus, and ran into work.

As I got into the elevator a lady was coming so I held the door for her. She asked me if I had heard what had happened on 62nd and park. I told her I had no idea, that I had seen 57th and park closed off. She told me that there was a blast. She said it was a doctor's office. As I was getting out at my floor she said "it's very scary". I agreed with her. Later on in my day things got pretty slow and I had a few minutes to let my mind wander. I realized that that woman was scared that al qaeda had hit the upper east. She was afraid of what they might hit next, whether they'd hit the building we work in. This is the state of fear that the Bush administration has gotten the American people into.

Now: what really happened. (I find this interesting so I'll give you a quick sum up. Here's the link to a story I found when I googled it.) So, the man who owned the building was in a bitter divorce and he was going to possibly lose the townhouse. They think now that he blew it up in a suicide attempt after sending a 14 page e-mail to his ex-wife and her lawyers. He didnt' want her to get the house so he blew it and himself up. The building just collapsed and was engulfed in flames. There were two brownstones on either side and at 12 my mother said she saw the firemen shooting water out of the brownstones. This had happened at 8:30.

anyways, I hope you found my story interesting. and it's further proof how politics is everywhere. I'm going to take a deliberate detour past 62nd and park tomorrow and see if I can find anything. That is if I'm not running late. So, moral of the story, if you hear a blast RUN! and don't think osama, think a bitter divorce.

15 Comments:

  • At 7/10/2006 11:37:00 PM, Blogger Obob said…

    Bob & Tom out of Indy have great line about divorce.
    Do you know they are so expensive?
    They're worth it!
    I say because I actually like my wife, but blowing up a building, to bad darwin do his job on that one.

     
  • At 7/10/2006 11:42:00 PM, Blogger Obob said…

    glad to see you back ellie

     
  • At 7/10/2006 11:49:00 PM, Blogger Ellie said…

    haha. thanks!! glad to be bak. :)

     
  • At 7/11/2006 05:28:00 PM, Blogger Robert said…

    Ellie, read my comments about this post at my site.

    www.conservativeobservations.blogspot.com

     
  • At 7/11/2006 09:13:00 PM, Blogger Ellie said…

    okay, heading on over!

     
  • At 7/11/2006 10:23:00 PM, Blogger Dardin Soto said…

    hmmm, Did the guy go down in flames with the property?... or was this just cutting his nose to spite his face...
    What a dumb thing to do, ... especially with the price of Real estate.... I hope Trump's trophy babe wife does not get any ideas.....

     
  • At 7/11/2006 10:58:00 PM, Blogger steven rix said…

    It is a known fact that people from all over the world blow themselves up. It does not only happen in Palestine or should I say occupied Palestine territories. It happens in China (farmers) and in India and in the US.

    Check out my post about the Supreme Court of the US of A:

    http://politiquesusa.blogspot.com/2006/07/scotus-is-criminal.html

    I held them responsible for suicide in Gitmo and maybe responsible to go the ICC.

     
  • At 7/11/2006 11:41:00 PM, Blogger Ellie said…

    truth-pain - it turned out that a firefighter got lucky and picked the hole that the guy was located under. They managed to get him out. I believe he's in critical condition. a girl who was walking by was hit by glass from the windows and was in severe condition. another 14 people received minor injuries. yes, very expensive, especially a townhouse on park ave! and it was one of those houses that refused to sell so they built the brownstones around it. I'm just imagining trump towers going down in flames...he better be nice to his wife.

     
  • At 7/11/2006 11:57:00 PM, Blogger Ellie said…

    politiques USA - my thoughts over at your place. they are responsible for the suicides in gitmo and many more deaths. and they should be brought to the ICC. I often complain about how the executive branch is attempting a power grab and how the power of that branch exceeds the other two branches of government, and with the inactivity of the judicial branch this is becoming even easier for bush et al.

    I'd love to punch every single one of them, but that's not going to happen. because I'm too cheap to buy a plane ticket to washington. lol. but they all need to be brought to justice. some people go to sleep at night with the ideal that there will be eternal justice at the pearly gates, but why can't we have justice down here as well. I've never been too fond of that judgement concept, if god loves everyone of us and forgives our mistakes, why is he judging us? isn't judging bad? back to my point, these people need to be brought to justice and someone needs to do it.

     
  • At 7/12/2006 03:22:00 AM, Blogger steven rix said…

    One of my post was banned from the american bar association.
    You may track the link here:

    http://tokvil.hautetfort.com/archive/2006/06/30/hamdam-v-rumsfeld.html

    It is the case for Hamdan against Rumsfeld. Some lawyers asked the admimistrator to get rid of my post.

    And here is a new post on my blog about SCOTUS:
    http://politiquesusa.blogspot.com/2006/07/there-is-something-bigger-than-war-on.html


    I did not change my opinion at all. They deserve a big punch in their nose.

     
  • At 7/12/2006 01:42:00 PM, Blogger Cranky Daze said…

    The last I heard on this (last night) was that the doctor is in a drug-induced coma in the hospital, severely burned, with only a 50/50 chance of survival. I never cease to be astonished at the hate that is often displayed by one or both of persons involved in the collapse of a marriage.

    For me, that news was eclipsed by the news of the derailing and burning of a train in Chicago, after which I was treated with several hours of worrying whether or not my son might have been on that train, since that happened about the time he would have been heading home from work. He wasn't, and in fact when he finally got around to responding to my most excellent "Jewish Mother" email, he hadn't even heard about that event.

    But back to the topic at hand; it's such a shame that grown-up people revert to hate-filled tantrums so often when a marriage bites the dust. They say that familiarity breeds contempt, but too often it breeds violence. I wish the doctor a bearable recovery, and time to reflect on how pointless was his "gotcha" action which harmed him far more than the person who was his target.

     
  • At 7/13/2006 08:34:00 PM, Blogger Robert said…

    Ellie, you don't have an email link. If you get a minute, email me please.

    everyone, please check out a new post called DEFINITIONS at smirkingcynic.com. No matter your political afiliation, it is interesting and i would like for as many peple to respond to it as possible. I will be very interesting with alot of posts.

    My comments also at www.conservativeobservations.blogspot.com

     
  • At 7/14/2006 12:37:00 AM, Blogger Ellie said…

    politiques USA - interesting comment... lol. you can just not go to work if you feel like it?! lucky!! actually I probably just care too much...

    I checked out all those links. the one on who are the real terrorists is a topic I'm planning on posting on tomorrow. I found this article in the metro today about fear and how it's in the united states too...etc. I'll post tomorrow. right now I'm tired and gotta get to work tomorrow (I care too much...remember?) so yeaa gotta get a few hours of sleep after a virtually sleepless week coffee just doesn't cut it anymore. thank god tomorrow's friday. anyhow I'll read manana.

    as for the banned post... um...it's in french. I hate to break it to you, but I speak english. and spanish. today I was tellling someone that I took french a long time ago and they started testing me. about all I could say is hello, black, white, adn can you speak french. :)

    commented on teh one on scotus.

    when I first read you had a banned post I was half expecting that lovely image you described in your first comment. haha.

    cranky daze - I haven't heard anything else on this, had to work late yesterday and today. Hate is a horrible thing and it so often turns to violence. It's horrible how love turns to hate and then extreme acts of violence, like this one. this poor man, I really feel sorry for him. also for the people he hurt. he has so much on his conscience now, it must really stink to be him. and his wife has probably gotten more validity to her divorce arguements and will probably wind up better off than before he did this. so sad.

    I'm glad your son is okay!! I didn't hear about that in chicago. I haven't gotten much more than little snippets of news recently, but that is very scary.

    robert - e-mailing away. i'll check that out tomorrow, my bed is caling me. :)

     
  • At 7/14/2006 01:26:00 AM, Blogger steven rix said…

    Fidel Casto negotiated his own sovereignity by allowing control of SCOTUS on its terroritory. This is why SCOTUS deserves a big punch in its nose. They only care about territorial control and do not care about human lives. It has been repeated over and over.

    On the other side the annexion of Hawaai by the USA in 1896, left Japan under an atomic bomb, less than 50 years later.

    Double standards?

     
  • At 7/14/2006 11:08:00 PM, Blogger Ellie said…

    there are so many double standards and people are such hypocrites it's disgusting. how about the discrimination against women? Things aren't that bad in this country, but they still aren't equal. do you know that women get 30,000 dollars less at wimbledon than men. I think I found that over at obob's. and if you notice the woman winner gets a plate whereas federer gets a giant cup. not cool!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Headlines from the Impeachment 

Blogosphere
Provided by First Sustainable
Add this box to your site
Add your feed to this box